Macedon Ranges, VIC
The ICAN Cities Appeal was endorsed by Macedon Ranges Shire Council, Victoria, on Wednesday 25th August, 2021.
1. Puts on record its deep concern about the grave threat that nuclear weapons pose to communities throughout the world. Council firmly believes that our residents have the right to live in a world free from this threat. Any use of nuclear weapons, whether deliberate or accidental, would have catastrophic, far‐ reaching and long‐lasting consequences for people and the environment.
2. Welcomes the adoption of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons by the United Nations in 2017.
3. Requests the Mayor write to Senator the Hon Marise Payne, Minister for Foreign Affairs, to call on Australia to sign and ratify the Treaty without delay.
4. Requests the Chief Executive Officer to issue a media release announcing that Council has joined the call for the Federal Government to sign and ratify the UN Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons.
5. Directs that the Chief Executive Officer must initiate a review of Council’s investment in a financial institution if it is brought to the Chief Executive Officer’s attention that financial institution invests in the production of nuclear weapons.
6. Recognises the ICAN (International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons) Cities for Peace Appeal and acknowledges the large number of cities and shires across Australia that have committed to this appeal.
Midland Express: Council raises voice on nuclear weapons
Below is a story from the local paper after Macedon Ranges Shire Council’s endorsement of the Cities Appeal.