Parliamentary Friends of the TPNW
Parliamentary Friends of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons is a forum for federal parliamentarians to meet and interact with nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation advocates on matters relating to the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons, and to discuss ways to ensure the Treaty’s success into the future.
The group was launched during the 46th Parliament in June 2020, co-chaired by Ged Kearney MP (Australian Labor Party), Ken O’Dowd MP (National Party) and Senator Jordon Steele-John (Australian Greens).
Parliamentary Friends of the TPNW was reconstituted in the 47th Parliament and launched in September 2022. It is currently co-chaired by Josh Wilson MP (Australian Labor Party), Senator Jordon Steele-John (Australian Greens) and Russell Broadbent MP (Liberal Party).
Digital launch in the 46th Parliament featuring former US Secretary of Defense William J Perry and Tom Collina, Ploughshares Fund.
Event celebrating the entry into force of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons at Parliament House, featuring Alexander Kmentt via videolink, Director of the Department for Disarmament, Arms Control and Non-Proliferation in the Austrian Foreign Ministry and President of the first Meeting of States Parties to the TPNW. Watch Kmentt’s address here.
Launch in the 47th Parliament.
Digital meeting of Co-Chairs and members to discuss progress on the TPNW and hear from Susan Templeman MP, head of Australia’s delegation to the first Meeting of States Parties in June 2022.
Statement celebrating the second anniversary of the entry into force of the TPNW.
The Co-Chairs released a statement acknowledging escalating nuclear threats and affirming their readiness to work towards Australia’s signature and ratification of the treaty. Read the statement.
Press conference, event and statement for the Atomic Survivors’ Delegation to Parliament House. The co-chairs statement acknowledged the delegates’ “bravery, fortitude, and advocacy” and affirmed that “Australia’s timely signature and ratification of the Treaty would be a meaningful contribution to strengthening the nuclear non-proliferation and disarmament regime at a time when that is urgently needed.”
- Russell Broadbent MP (co-chair), Liberal
- Senator Jordon Steele-John (co-chair), Greens
- Josh Wilson MP (co-chair), Labor
- Senator Penny Allman-Payne, Greens
- Josh Burns MP, Labor
- Max Chandler-Mather MP, Greens
- Senator Dorinda Cox, Greens
- Zoe Daniel MP, Independent
- Warren Entch MP, Liberal
- Steve Georganas MP, Labor
- Andrew Giles MP, Labor
- Senator Nita Green, Labor
- Senator Karen Grogan, Labor
- Helen Haines MP, Independent
- Julian Hill MP, Labor
- Andrew Leigh MP, Labor
- Graham Perrett MP, Labor
- Fiona Phillips MP, Labor
- Senator Barbara Pocock, Greens
- Senator David Pocock, Independent
- Senator Louise Pratt, Labor
- Senator Janet Rice, Greens
- Senator David Shoebridge, Greens
- Anne Stanley MP, Labor
- Susan Templeman MP, Labor
- Kate Thwaites MP, Labor
- Kylea Tink MP, Independent
- Maria Vamvakinou MP, Labor
- Senator Linda White, Labor
- Andrew Wilkie MP, Independent
- Sharon Claydon MP
- Libby Coker MP
- Patrick Gorman MP
- Senator Sarah Hanson-Young
- Chris Hayes MP
- Ged Kearney MP (former co-chair)
- Ken O’Dowd MP (former co-chair)
- Tanya Plibersek MP
- Rebekha Sharkie MP
- Zali Steggall MP
- Tim Wilson MP