Port Phillip, VIC
The ICAN Cities Appeal was endorsed by the City of Port Phillip on 16 October, 2019.
Moved by Cr Katherine Copsey and agreed to with 6 in favour, 1 abstention and 1 opposed.
- Notes that our City is deeply concerned about the grave threat that nuclear weapons pose to communities throughout the world. We firmly believe that our residents have the right to live in a world free from this threat. Any use of nuclear weapons, whether deliberate or accidental,would have catastrophic, far-reaching and long-lasting consequences for people and the environment.
- Supports the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons and calls on our Federal Government to join it.
- Requests that the Mayor send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating that the City of Port Phillip endorses the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN) Cities Appeal.
- Writes to inform the Foreign Minister and local federal representatives that the City of Port Phillip has endorsed the ICAN Cities Appeal.
- Issues a press release announcing that the City of Port Phillip has joined the call for the national government to sign and ratify the UN Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons.
- Take steps to ensure that funds administered by the City of Port Phillip are not invested in companies that produce nuclear weapons, with reference to the information available at www.dontbankonthebomb.com
Image L-R: Cr Brand, Cr Baxter, Margie Beavis, Fred Mendelsohn, Cr Simic and Cr Copsey.